Friday, September 5, 2014

His Virgo Birthday Card

The 6th sign in the zodiac...known to be picky and critical...and with a willingness to serve...enter the Virgo. 

A lovely co-worker (and one of my best customers) requested a Virgo-themed birthday card for her boyfriend that expressed her love. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, masculine cards require some true brainstorming.

Thanks to Dylusions ink sprays, Tim Holtz Distress paints, and some inspiration from Kristina Werner (see below),


Amazing work by the talented Kristina Werner

I accomplished my galaxy card. I started by spraying a small puddles of ink on a non-stick craft sheet. Next, using just a few sprays of plain water, I moistened the surface of a piece of watercolor paper and swiped it through the ink until I was satisfied with the color. I moved on to the next color and basically "rinse and repeat". A nice way to layer the colors, is to dry them using a handheld craft dryer before swiping through the next color.

I wasn't in love with it initially because the color was too deep and the card looked too dark for my taste, but the BEST part of the Dylusions ink sprays (aside from their vibrancy) is they are always reactive when they come in contact with water, so a few flicks of some good old H2O and a paper towel to blot up some color and I have this beautiful bluish purple galaxy. I also watered down some Mustard Seed and Picket Fence Distress paints and splattered them on with a small paintbrush. It gave the card the depth of stars and light that I was looking to add.

I will definitely experiment with more of these backgrounds!! I die cut the "Virgo" out of my inked paper and used a Googled image of the constellation to stamp the stars in the proper configuration. The stamp set for the sentiment is from Lawn Fawn (oh how I adore their products!).

My co-worker was thrilled. Another happy crafting adventure. Thanks for stopping by!


Deidre

No comments:

Post a Comment