Thursday, November 27, 2014

Autumn Blessings

I hope you are enjoying your Thanksgiving Day in whatever manner you choose to observe it. Time with family, friends, pets, or even a peaceful day to yourself is the perfect opportunity to reflect on all that you are grateful to have in your life. For me, it's my wonderful family. We're close and crazy :) and holidays are a time of food, jokes, naps, and just hanging together.

Even though the weather felt like fall a couple of days ago and winter today, I have a yard FULL of leaves from my neighbor's oak tree. The colors were so inspiring and I was itching to use a stamp set that I bought last year and never opened.





I was thrilled by how the leaves turned out! And no, they're not real...
totally made of watercolor paper. I literally looked out the windows of my craft room onto my deck at the covering of leaves and tried my best to mimic the warmth and change of color that comes with the transition of the seasons.


I used the Tim Holtz Alterations Tattered Leaves die by Sizzix for the leaves. Then it was off to coloring. If you've read my blog, then you know I'm in L-O-V-E with Tim Holtz's products and this was no exception. I used a mountain of Distress Inks applied with a small dauber until I was happy with the colors: Tea Dye, Vintage Photo, Spiced Marmalade, Fired Brick, Mustard Seed, and Shabby Shutters.


Okay, on to the cool part- the veins of the leaves. I took a straight pin from my sewing basket and scratched in the veins of the leaves, revealing the white of the watercolor paper. That made it easy to go back and use a tiny paintbrush and some watered down vintage photo to make them pop. Who knew?! Lastly, I used the "spritz and flick" technique to create the water droplets on the leaves to give them a worn look.

I stamped the sentiment on flagged vellum and backed it with a brown cardstock flag. I wrapped some hemp (also a fave of mine) and tied it in a bow. I stamped the front of an A4 kraft card with Versamark ink using the Impression Obsession Wood Grain Cover-A-Card stamp and heat embossed using gold powder. I adore the combination of these colors.


I hope you have an amazing and safe holiday filled with lots of love and relaxation...and maybe a little craft time :) Thanks for stopping by!

Deidre


No comments:

Post a Comment